"Learn Arabic, Any Arabic pt 2" Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Local Custom Tip by JamalMorelli
Morocco Local Customs: 297 reviews and 362 photos
My friends from Egypt speak English have everybody here speaking Egyptian Arabic because of it's popular use in film and music. But it's a one -way street - as my Egyptian friends often can't understand anything my Moroccan friends (including me) are saying.
Without plugging LP, they are about the only people who put a book out of Morrocan arabic that I know of. (My family uses it to communicate with my Moroccan friends online!)
There are some awesome books from the mid-60's by Georgetown Press on the Moroccan Arabic and if you can find them I can't recommend them enough.
Simple answer - MSA is understood by enough people to make your trip easier, but learning the Moroccan Arabic will make it easier still and win you a few culture points.
and again: the Moroccan Arabic Podcast
More Local Customs in Morocco (88)
More Reviews (199)
- See All Deportation Threat
- See All Rial, Francs, Dirhams
- See All Expressing Yourself to Kids at Play
- See All hotel agadir
- See All Voltage and All Dat Noise
- See All Snuff
- See All Rugby Lite - Daily Moroccan Life
- See All The Carpet Scam
- See All Grand Taxi from Casablanca, Taxi from...
- See All Jemma el Fna - Picnictime
- See All Islamic Holidays
- See All Driving in the Mountains
JamalMorelli's Related Pages
Have you been to Morocco?Share Your Travels