"Zarnowiec- Historic Church and Village" Poland Things to Do Tip by Ekaterinburg

Poland Things to Do: 398 reviews and 656 photos

The Annunciation altarpiece at Zarnowiec
by Ekaterinburg

Unusually for me, I spent very little time poking about in churches during my week in the Baltic. All in all this area is very outdoorsy and we were enjoying the invigorating sea air too much to want to spend much time inside. One exception to this was the hour or two we spent at the Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Zarnowiec, on Sunday evening. The occasion was an organ and trumpet recital and a champagne reception later in the cloisters. This church, from the outside, a red-brick country church, had one of the most beautiful altarpieces I had ever seen and as the evening darkened , the gold and silver gilding flickered and shimmered mysteriously. The following week when I got to the cities I saw many examples of this black and gold style of decoration, but Zarnowiec was the first I'd seen and its representation of the Annunciation was really awe-inspiring. I learned later that the robes worn by the Angel Gabriel and Mary were the work of a renowned Gdansk goldsmith, Jan Gottfryd Schlaubitz and had been put in place around 1740. In summer there are concerts at his church very frequently.

Directions: Zarnowiec is a little village a few Km west of Krokowa.

• Written Nov 1, 2006

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Have you been to Poland?