"Leba -Pretty fishing village (I thought)" Poland Things to Do Tip by Ekaterinburg

Poland Things to Do: 398 reviews and 656 photos

The main beach at Leba
      The main beach at Leba
  • Ships - Poland
    by Ekaterinburg

I had come across Leba very frequently in my research about Poland and had a vision of fishing boats on a beach, a nice harbour maybe and a pretty little village to walk around. I was obviously reading too much too quickly and definitely not reading between the lines, because the reality was quite different. There certainlywas a pretty village - somewhere - but finding it, among the souvenir stall and ice-cream stands was a little difficult. I specifically wanted to see a hotel, which is a castle on the beach, and which if I could have afforded it, I would almost certainly have stayed in. Thank God, I couldn't afford it because what the brochures didn't point out is that on the other side of the wall is one of Poland's most crowded beaches. The riverside in Leba was nice, with lots of old pirate-type ships moored there and there are lots of beaches and forests. It's not a place I would be inclined to linger in, simply because it was too crowded, but like Hel, it is probably a wonderful place to go to outside of July and August.

Directions: On the Baltic coast west of Bialogora

• Updated Nov 1, 2006

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I knew about this place and knew what it looked like, but didn't get a chance to. Next time.
    But this happeneds to me a lot. I often imagine a place being a certain way, than when I get there, it's not at all what I imagined.

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Have you been to Poland?