"This is our dominium >> Madeira Lizards" Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Favorite Tip by pikuu

Madeira Island Favorites: 47 reviews and 58 photos

BananaEater
by pikuu

Favorite thing: The animal world of Madeira is not too rich comparing to the other regions located in the same geographical zone. Simply this is the place separated from other places by the thousends kilometres of water - the space difficult to jump over.

But the Lacertilia family is developed here wonderfully. The countless number of green, brown, 'painted' in stripes or dots lizards control the holes in walls and tunnels between roots.

Short story from small beach: I sit down on the boulder near the big rock wall. I'm hungry so I take the slice of pizza from my backpack. Sudenly strange movement directs my eyes. Hundreds of lizards - small and bigger slowly approach. I wave my hand. Lizards escape. But after the minute fabulous smell of pizza calls them again.

I'm staring at the sea horizen and forgot about lizards' invasion. Suddenly I feel that little creature is walking on my arm. Despite the lizard is not wet and slippy I order it "go out".

But after the minute brave lizards start again their patrol. And I have to give up and hide the yummy pizza from animals.

Take the advantage of your stay between these charming creatures and see how they are nice, dexterous and well-prepared to survive.

• Updated Oct 30, 2006

Comments

pikuu

“Chasing sheep is best left to shephards”

Have you been to Madeira Island?