"Serbian Parliament" National Assembly of Serbia Tip by antistar

Serbian Parliament
      Black Horse Statues, Serbian Parliament
      Black Horse Statues, Serbian Parliament
    by antistar

The Serbian Parliament is one of the most outstanding buildings in the city, and has been serving the people of the country for nearly a hundred years, either as the seat of government for Yugoslavia or Serbia. The Parliament was first started in 1907, and the distinctive statues, called "Black Horses Playing" outside were added 1937 by Toma Rosandic.

It was at the Serbian Parliament were I experienced my only officious nagging of the four days I spent in the city. I was loafing untidily on the walls outside the main door to the building, pulling out my maps and trying to locate the next sight, when the guard at the door, who'd been eyeing me suspiciously for some time, while I took pictures, came over and spoke to me. I asked him if he spoke English, and immediately his frown disappeared to be replaced by a smile.

He grabbed a passing pedestrian, who translated patiently in broken English. I fully expected to be told not to take pictures, and maybe even to hand over my "film", but it turned out that I just wasn't allowed to slump all over the walls of the parliament and make the place look untidy with all my bits of paper.

Address: Kralja Milana 14 Street, Belgrade
Directions: Opposite Nikola Pasic square, 5' walk from Republic square

• Updated Oct 30, 2006

Comments

antistar

“Treat hosts like your girlfriend, and never tell them how wonderful the last one was.”

Have you been to Belgrade?