"Kailua Beach: America's Best Beach?" Top 5 Page for this destination Beaches / Coastlines Tip by AKtravelers
Beaches / Coastlines, Oahu: 135 reviews and 263 photos
According to many experts, Kailua Beach on Oahu's windward coast is America's best beach. It is a miles-long crescent of soft white sand running from Lanikai to the Kaneohe Peninsula and yet is much less crowded than the more famous Waikiki (and as long as hotels are prevented from coming to Kailua, it will remain that way). The water is usually calm, as Kailua Bay is protected by a reef and some small, scenic islands. This makes Kailua Beach a popular windsurfing and parasurfing spot. If you take a kayak out to the water, you'll enjoy the beautiful, jagged mountains that backdrop the shore. And, finally, Kailu Beach is dog-friendly -- especially in the hour just before sunset when you can find owners edging the surf with almost every breed imaginable!
More Things to Do in Oahu (22)
More Reviews (71)
- See All The Contemporary Museum: Art & a View
- See All friendly Vietnamese-French food in...
- See All Ko'olau: America's Hardest Golf Course! ...
- See All Hawaiian Waters Water Park: Why?
- See All Boom!! Fireworks for New Years!
- See All Introduced Species: A Threat to Hawaii
- See All Red Dirt Will Stain Forever
- See All Shop Like a Local at Aloha Stadium
- Air Travel is Required -- for Now!
- See All THE Hotspot is a Bar in a Mall (Really)
- See All A Refurbished Efficiency Hotel
- It's Hawaii! Bring Beach Stuff!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Have you been to Oahu?Share Your Travels