"Walking Tour of Monterey" Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Things to Do Tip by Ewingjr98
Monterey Things to Do: 353 reviews and 893 photos
Monterey is a very walkable city. I would park at the end of Cannery Row and do a loop through Cannery Row, Fisherman's Wharf, and the Monterey Beach, then back through downtown and the Lower Presidio. The total distance of this loop is about 3.5 to 4 miles depending on where you park in Cannery Row. Another option is to spend a day in the Cannery Row Area and another day in the Fisherman's Wharf, downtown area, meaning less walking and more time to explore.
The best parking area in Cannery Row is the city garage between Wave and Foam Streets at the northern end of Cannery Row.
1. From here, the obvious first stop is the aquarium.
2. Walk down Cannery Row and stop at the shops, boutiques, galleries and restaurants.
3. Duck into McAbee Beach next to Sly McFly's (or just stop at Sly's for a drink). Across the street are several historic markers from Steinbeck's time and earlier.
4. Continue down Cannery Row toward San Carlos Beach take a short detour at the corner of Drake Street and Cannery Row to see the Doc Rickett's memorial at the spot where he was killed by a train.
5. Next to San Carlos Beach is the Coast Guard Wharf with a small marina, some sea lions, and a few restaurant options.
6. Jump up onto the Monterey Bay Coastal Trail and head toward Fisherman's Wharf. This narrow stretch has some of the best views of the bay and the sea lions.
7. Next stop: Fisherman's Wharf. Long a tourist favorite, check out the views and the tacky souvenir shops, but don't waste your money! This is also the spot for whale watching trips or boat tours of the bay.
8. Further along the coast is Commercial Wharf where you can see the fishing boats, get some nice views of the beach, buy fresh fish, see the marina, and stop at several of my favorite places: Sandbar and Grill, Lou Lou's Griddle in the Middle, and the London Bridge Pub. This is also a good place to see the sea lions in the late evening just before dark.
More Things to Do in Monterey (23)
More Reviews (221)
- See All Visitors Center & Old French Consulate
- See All Siamese Bay Thai (Webster Street) - Old...
- See All East Village Cafe (Washington St) - Old...
- See All Cherry's Jubilee
- See All Haunted Monterey
- See All Old Monterey Railroad Station
- See All Used books and records in New Monterey
- See All Dirt Track Racing at Watsonville's Ocean...
- See All InterContinental The Clement - Cannery...
- See All Storms and big waves
- See All The Monterey Bay Aquarium on Summer...
- Monterey Weather
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Have you been to Monterey?Share Your Travels