"Don?t miss our mushroom season !!" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Restaurant Tip by Trekki
Germany Restaurants: 266 reviews and 497 photos
Usually, in late summer and early autumn, we have mushroom dishes in most of the restaurants. Mushrooms vary from all kinds of champignons, boleti, chantarelle and others. Mostly they are served with creamy sauce and bread dumplings, so they are very much filling!
The best mushroom meal I had so far was once in Eltville (my suggestion as alternative to tourist trap Rüdesheim), in a tiny restaurant (first photo). The second best was in St. Martin, a cute small so typical Palatinate village.
Depending on the meal and of course the restaurant, prices vary from 5 Euro to 10 and more Euro. But be warned: many restaurants, especially where the owners want quick money rather than customer satisfaction, would serve canned mushrooms. I would say that a good sign for fresh mushrooms is when the dishes are indeed announced on a special board outside of the restaurant.
I should also mention the German words for these mushrooms, like they will be announced on these typical dish tables outside of restaurants:
Pfifferling(e) = chantarelles
Steinpilz(e) = boletus/boleti
(Pfifferling = 1 mushroom, Pfifferlinge = more mushrooms :-)
© Ingrid D., October 2006 (text revamp Dec. 2010)
More Reviews (74)
- See All Residence - Palace - Castle - Fortress -...
- Bring some cash - why?
- See All Ridiculous price wars at petrol/gas...
- See All Careful: machines can't read new 5 Euro...
- See All Peaceful heaven in Bavaria: next to Wies...
- See All Car: Save money at Autobahn stations &...
- See All Tchibo: coffee & more, in case you...
- See All Rhein river romance: the fireworks
- See All German Christmas songs :-)
- See All Cycling around Lake Constance/Bodensee
- See All Forst, the cutest little wine village...
Been to Germany?Share your travels with the world!
Trekki's Related Pages
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels