"La Cathédrale de Bayeux" France Things to Do Tip by Carmanah

France Things to Do: 1,479 reviews and 1,983 photos

La Cathédrale de Bayeux on a rainy October day
by Carmanah

While we seemed to only visited Bayeux for its famous Tapestry, as we were walking down the streets of Bayeux, we stopped outside of a beautiful gothic cathedral: le Cathédrale de Notre-Dame de Bayeux.

We didn't actually tour inside the cathedral, which is a shame. If I return to Bayeux, I would definitely take the time to explore the cathedral fully, as there's a lot of history here.

The cathedral was consecrated in 1077 on the site of previous sanctuaries. 28 years later, it was partially destroyed, but it was rebuilt and added on to throughout the following centuries. As a result, it has a variety of architectural styles. The western side has Romanesque towers while the nave is designed in Norman Romanesque. The choir features Norman Gothic architectural style and Resaissance stalls. Apparently Odo of Bayeux, the arcbishop of Bayeux (William of Normandy's half-brother) is responsible for the structure we see today.

The Notre-Dame Cathedal of Bayeux is supposed to be one of the most beautiful gothic cathedrals in France. The photo I took doesn't do it justice, as it was raining on the day that I was there, and I was a new at photography, so I didn't have the insight to take the greatest shots. Regardless, if you do a search for photos of the cathedral online, you'll see what I mean!

It should be noted that Notre Dame was also the original home of the famous Bayeux Tapestry until it was moved to where it is today, down the road, at Centre Guillaume le Conquérant on Rue de Nesmond in Bayeux.

Address: Rue du Bienvenu, Bayeux, France
Phone: +33 2 31 92 01 85
Website: http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/H/history/e-h/harold07.html

• Updated Oct 27, 2006

Comments

Carmanah

“You only live once!”