"What transportation?" Beirut Transportation Tip by WanderingFinn

Beirut Transportation: 47 reviews and 33 photos

I visited Beirut in 2004. That time there were flights available to and from Beirut; I combined mine to a holiday in Cyprus so it was only a half an hour flight one way.

That time there was practically no public transportation, and I didn't see any buses or trams. I was lucky enough to have earlier met a Cyprus lady who gave a hint worth gold: don't take the very expensive taxis but hire an own driver and a car instead; that's a local habit too. She gave us his driver's number so we could call and organize someone for us too.

After having arrived in Beirut airport a local man was waiting for us with his huge American car. He spoke good English. He drove us to our hotel and as it was late at night, we agreed the pick-up for the next day and agreed the hourly fee which was very acceptable. Now we didn't have to worry about taximeter ticking all the time if we wanted to stop for a beer or taking pictures or walk around.

When driving with him we noticed this is really not the place for renting a car. I've been driving to many mountains, dozens of countries in East and West Europe, US, even a right steered car; in many weird and dangerous roads or hectic cities but I definitely will quit Beirut. There seemed to be no traffic rules, or if there were, nobody obeyed them. Our driver said the fastest one is entitled to come to the crossroads first. The vast majority of the cars were damaged at least a little.

Our driver was so glad he had some change; not always the oil millionaires who only sit and do not talk to him. We made friends with our driver; he did not only drive but he started to show around places he thought might interest us.
This was also the one and only safe way to get a quick glimpse at the most poorest areas and at some Hizbollah streets. He knew where not to drive to avoid trouble and possible checkpoints.

Type: Car/Motor Home

• Updated Oct 26, 2006

“Carpe Diem! Never judge the book by the cover!”

Have you been to Beirut?