"David" David Statue Tip by newsphotogirl

David

David
      A nice view of David
    by newsphotogirl

My biggest piece of advice is to make reservations. It definately helps.

We had reservations for 9:30am. Unfortunately when we got to there we saw a sign on the door that said the museum wouldn't open until 11am because of a "meeting" which we were told was code for strike. We left, got a coffee and when we returned at 11am there was an enormous line. We stood in line for about 20 minutes until we saw a group of people crowded around the door clearly ignoring the 50 or so people waiting in line. At this point I decided to either try to get in or leave it for the next day. We walked to the front of the crowd to the person working the front entrance. I showed him my 9:30 reservation and he shook his head, told us to step aside while at the same time allowing a tour group in. After a couple of minutes he let us in. Normally I'm not that pushy but it was 11:30 and our reservations were for 9:30 so I don't think we were way out of line. So you're probably wondering why I recomend reservations. Well, because I still think it got us inside faster and it really made a difference at the Uffizi. And you can't predict strikes.

The Galleria dell'Accademia isn't that big. The first thing you see is David. The detail of the statue is amazing. The piece of marble that Michelagelo used was considered damaged. Other artists including Leonardo Da Vinci were unable to make anything out of the stone. What is even more interesting is to look at the pieces of Michelangelo's unfinished work nearby and compare them with David. You get a true sense of the skill it takes to create something so perfect from a single block of marble.

This was definately a must see and I'm glad I didn't pass it up.

Bathroom note: The main bathrooms are downstairs near the exit and it's usually crowded. But before you get to the main bathrooms there is a single bathroom just off to the side with a small sign. This is for seniors or handicapped people but if there is no one around it's fine to use otherwise let them go ahead of you.

Address: Via Ricasoli 58-60, 50122 Firenze, Italy
Directions: Gallery of the Academy
Phone: +39 055 294883
Website: http://www.uffizi.firenze.it/musei/?m=accademia

• Updated Jan 5, 2007

Comments

newsphotogirl

“"que tout ce que vous faites se passe avec amour"”

Have you been to Florence?