"If your going to live here...this may help you out" Germany Favorite Tip by kldelaney

Germany General: 537 reviews and 478 photos

Favorite thing: So far we love everything about Germany.

A couple things to think about if you come to live here:

1. Diving laws are very different.

a. The autobahn HAS speed limits in MOST areas. They use signs just like we do and they are not "suggested" speed limits, they are the leagal speeds.

b. You will not find many speed limit signs in and around the towns. There is a standard speed limit that everyone is supposed to know. City = 50km, Outside City = 100km,
Autobahn = 120km. All of these are "unless otherwise marked".

c. They have a "right-of-way" law that can be very tricky.

d. The military offers - Drivers Handbook and Examination Manual for Germany but not all information is in it. When in doubt ask a few German people, thats how I learned a lot.

2. Learn the language! At least try! That has been the biggest plus for me. My German friends all appreciate the fact that I am trying. Even people I meet dog walking. I am always quick to say I don't know much German but they are excited that I know any.

Shawn and I always joke "when in Rome", but its not really a joke. You get what you give and for us it shows. We have already made friends that we will stay in touch with for the rest of our lives.

• Updated Oct 16, 2006

“Don't leave home without the Bear”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Germany?