"George Washington National Forest" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Off The Beaten Path Tip by matcrazy1

Virginia Off The Beaten Path: 97 reviews and 264 photos

THE ONLY BEAR I MET, WASHINGTON NATL. FOREST

THE ONLY BEAR I MET, WASHINGTON NATL. FOREST
      RANGER STATION AND MASSANUTTEN VISITOR CENTER
      VIRGINIA CIVIL WAR TRAILS
      FOG
      GEORGE WASHINGTOM NATIONAL FOREST SIGN
    by matcrazy1

I drove E. Lee Highway (VA-211) across George Washington National Forest in northwestern Virginia and stopped at Lee Ranger District station and Massanutten Visitors Center. I was not lucky about thick fog that day. The bears seemed to hide in the fog :-).

VA-211 is a scenic road from New Market through the Blue Ridge Mountains covered by George Washington National Forest down to Luray with famous caverns. I stopped on the peak (New Market Gap) and entered Visitors Center where I found a lot of information on the region.
There are 55 species of mammals, from squirrels to bears in the forest. I didn't see any except a few human beings. There are Virginia Civil War Trails in the area.

Massanutten is a popular mountain resort (skiing!) located more to south (access from Harrisonburg via VA-33). George Washington National Forest, a one-time home for Indians, a passageway for pioneers and a battleground during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars offers a lot of recreational activities include backpacking, hiking, fishing, biking, camping, wildlife viewing, and scenic driving. I wanted to enjoy at least a bit hiking and scenic driving but thick fog changed my plans.

Website: http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_national_forest/va_georg.htm

• Written Oct 12, 2006

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Virginia?