Au Gateau de Bruxelles: "Waffles!" Gaufre de Bruxelles Tip by Dabs

My last waffle!
      Au Gateau de Bruxelles
      Au Gateau de Bruxelles
    by Dabs

We arrived in Brussels late on Friday afternoon so after checking into our hotel, we walked towards the Grand Place to try to get a few photos before dark. About a block before we ran into the Grand Place on rue Marche aux Herbes, we spotted a restaurant that also sold waffles from their window, it turned out this would be my last waffle in Belgium, sniff, sniff.

I think it's also a sit down restaurant inside but we had a seat outside to eat our waffles.

Favorite Dish: I got a Luikse wafel (Liege Waffle) with fresh cream, they garnished it with some red berries which I passed on eating. Delicious!

Luikse wafels differ from the waffles we are accustomed to eating in the US that are made with a batter, Luikse wafels are heavier, made with a dough with big lumps of sugar. The sugar gives the waffle a sweet flavor and many people eat them with no toppings. I alternated between fresh cream and fresh cream and chocolate as we waddled through Belgium, you could also get a variety of fresh fruit and other toppings.

Address: Rue du Marche aux Herbes 113
Price Comparison: least expensive
Directions: Very close to the Novotel Grand Place and about a block away from the Grand Place
Phone: +32 2 514 01 71
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Local

• Written Oct 11, 2006

Comments

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Brussels?