"See Royalty at the Opening of Parliament" Högvakten - Royal Guard Tip by Tom_In_Madison

Högvakten - Royal Guard, Stockholm: 28 reviews and 56 photos

Parliament building
      Parliament building
    by Tom_In_Madison
      This carriage brought the King & Queen.
      Royalty preceeded by horses

Opening of Parliament

We heard an army band playing music in the distance, so we went to check it out. It was the opening day of Parliament and Sweden really made a big to-do over this. It?s at Parliament building, or Riksdagshuset, where you can view it all from across the street on the sidewalk. I think it?s held on the first Tuesday in October.

Starting at around noon, foreign dignitaries start showing up in private limos with their little flags attached to the hood of the cars. This all goes on until about 1:40pm. The Prime Minister(?) of Sweden showed up, as did the previous one who had just lost the election. All the while the band is playing music?Swedish national Anthem, local songs, and even an Abba medley a few times. Where else can you see the ambassador of Peru arrive and walk into the House of Parliament to the sounds of ?Dancing Queen?? (Just for the record, yes, I really like that song)

Then the big event. The King, Queen, the two Princesses and the Prince arrive in 2 horse-drawn carriages. Waving to the crowd, they made a grand entrance. I missed the photos of them, so I don't have any. (And I swear, Princess Victoria waved at me and gave me a wink. I may have to return?:) )

Address: Stockholm Royal Palace and 25 at Drottningholm
Directions: A stones throw from the Royalty castle, in Gamla Stan
Phone: 46 8 786 40 00
Website: http://www.riksdagen.se

• Written Oct 11, 2006

“From near to far, from here to there, funny things are everywhere. -- Dr Seuss.”

Have you been to Stockholm?