"Mount Vernon - Home to Washington" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Things to Do Tip by matcrazy1
Virginia Things to Do: 263 reviews and 701 photos
Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens is large property with the mansion where the first president of the United States, George Washington (1732 - 1799) spent most of his fascinating life, died and was buried. It's only 16 miles (26 km) from downtown Washington, DC in the middle of Northern Virginia urban sprawl which stretches almost to Richmond.
George Washington played many different roles in the founding of the new American nation: Commander in Chief of the Revolutionary Army, first President and leader of the Constitutional Convention to name a few. I was surprised to get to know that he was one of the most accomplished farmers in America. He took a scientific approach to farming and was one of the first to practice conservation of natural resource. More details: follow the link below.
Address: 3200 G.Washington Mem. Pkway,Mount Vernon,VA 22121
Directions: In Northern Virginia, in Fairfax County on the banks of the Potomac River and only 16 miles south of downtown Washington, DC. Map here
Phone: +1 (703) 780-2000
More Things to Do in Virginia (29)
More Reviews (120)
- See All Squirrels downtown
- See All Mechanicsville - Nat's neighbourhood
- See All The worst food + drink and drive :-)
- See All Southern hospitality under $50!
- See All Arlington - Books exclusively on women
- See All Virginia makes great ham!
- Go for a hike!
- As usual + more films/memory cards
- See All For coming to the USA first time :-)
- No specifically Virginian tourist trap...
- See All In Virginian bed :-)
- See All Waynesboro - Great soup for only $0.99!
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Virginia?Share Your Travels