"Clip clop" Fiaker - Horse Carriage Tip by TheWanderingCamel

Fiaker - Horse Carriage, Vienna: 18 reviews and 34 photos

Old -style transport
by TheWanderingCamel

The budget didn't allow it the first few times I was in Vienna, and paying to ride around in a closed carriage in the rain had no appeal on a Christmas visit, but beautiful sunshine and a friend who'd never been there before combined to see us negotiating with the driver of one of the fiakers waiting by the Stephansdom on a day that was a public holiday in June (Corpus Christi - the Thursday following Trinity Sunday).

There's no getting away from the fact that this is both a)expensive and b)very touristy - but what the heck - it was our last day in Vienna, our plans for the day had gone somewhat awry, and it was fun. We opted for the full hour (90 euros). As it was quite early and a holiday, there was very little traffic around our coachman was prepared to make a few unscheduled photo stops. He gave us a knowledgeable running commentary as we clip-clopped along and some unforseen barriers meant we took a couple of unexpected detours.

I don't know that I would say this is a "must-do" in Vienna - I've been an impecunious backpacker in my time, counting every schilling, and riding around in horse-drawn carriages certainly doesn't fit within that budget but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a tourist trap either. Fiakers are as much a part of the Viennese street scene as the grand buildings and the Baroque domes, the horses are well-cared for unlike the broken-down old nags you find in some cities, so if you fancy a taste of bygone days, this could be for you.

Address: Eyzinggasse 23, 1110 Wien
Directions: Fiaker stands can be found by the Stephansdom and on the Heldenplatz at the Hofburg.
Make sure you set your price and time before you set off.

Phone: +43 1 7491704