"Luray - Caverns" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Things to Do Tip by matcrazy1
Virginia Things to Do: 263 reviews and 701 photos
I have already visited quite many caverns in Europe (Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, France, Spain, Gibraltar) as well as the world's largest caverns in Carlsbad, New Mexico and I have to admit that the Luray Caverns are on the top. These are the largest caverns east of the Mississippi River discovered in 1878 and simply a MUST see fairyland in stone.
The guided tour starts from going downstairs. Then our group of some 15 people followed a guide walking well-lighted, paved walkways leading through cathedral-sized rooms filled with ancient stone formations. Along the trail guide stopped many times in broader places to talk about what's around. I've got to know that some individual formations are over seven million years old and they still grow. New deposits accumulate at the rate of one cubic inch in 120 years. Details: follow the link below.
Address: 970 US Highway 211 West, Luray, Virginia 22835
Directions: In the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, 15 min. east of I-81: take exit 264 to US-211 East and follow the direction signs.
Phone: +1 (540) 743-6551
More Things to Do in Virginia (29)
More Reviews (120)
- See All Squirrels downtown
- See All Mechanicsville - Nat's neighbourhood
- See All The worst food + drink and drive :-)
- See All Southern hospitality under $50!
- See All Arlington - Books exclusively on women
- See All Virginia makes great ham!
- Go for a hike!
- As usual + more films/memory cards
- See All For coming to the USA first time :-)
- No specifically Virginian tourist trap...
- See All In Virginian bed :-)
- See All Waynesboro - Great soup for only $0.99!
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Virginia?Share Your Travels