"Arlington - Pentagon" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Things to Do Tip by matcrazy1

Virginia Things to Do: 263 reviews and 701 photos

PENTAGON (DO ENLARGE!), ARLINGTON
    by matcrazy1

When I saw the Pentagon for the first time I simply didn't realize that this famous building is so many times wider (length of each outer wall 921 ft = 201 m) than taller (77 ft = 24 m).

The Pentagon, headquarters of the Department of Defense, is an attraction to see, not to visit inside, at least for individual visitors. Tours of the Pentagon are available to schools, educational organizations and other select groups by reservation only.

HISTORY
The building was completed in January 1943.

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001
On September 11, 2001 a Boeing 757-200 (American Airlines, flight 77) hijacked by terrorists hit the west wing of the Pentagon. Luckily due to renovations only about 850 instead of 4,500 people worked that day. 123 people were killed. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld was safe in his office on the opposite side of the building. In fact, despite the fact that Secretary Rumsfeld was 69 years old at that time, he went into the danger zone and personally assisted in the rescue effort.

Most people all over the world remember that day exactly where they were and what they were doing on that day. I was busy at work that afternoon when my co-worker called me to see on TV what happened. Polish TV station TVN stopped the scheduled program and showed breaking news: one WTC tower on fire. I saw when the second plane hit the second tower. The TV journalist couldn't tell a word during next half a minute. In a few minutes my wife, called to me from home and asked whether I knew. I remember quickly changing the news and reports and the fall of the towers. For a time, president Bush's location was unknown, followed by a few hours of chaos and fear. A few days later there were thousands of candles in windows of my hometown and Republicans and Democrats together defiantly singing "God Bless America" on the Capitol steps.

Address: Pentagon, Arlington, VA 22211
Directions: In Northern Virginia by the Potomac River across the Washington DC. Be careful when you pass by exit 10A on I-395S or 7B on I-395N, follow the direction signs. Pentagon metro station is just south of the building.
othercontact: http://www.defenselink.mil
Phone: +1 (703) 697-1776
Website: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/9ecb/d7c3e

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Oct 11, 2006

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Virginia?