"Williamsburg - Capitol" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Things to Do Tip by matcrazy1
Virginia Things to Do: 263 reviews and 701 photos
I enjoyed a lot guided tour to the first American Capitol in Williamsburg. There is large contrast between modest interiors of the Capitol and rich ones of the Governor's Palace. Well, it followed the different functions of the buildings and their quite different users.
English word Capitol derives from the Capitoline Hill (Capitolinus Mons) in Rome, seat of the government of the Roman Republic. Capitol refers to a building that houses the administration of certain governments. In the USA it's home of the legislative branch of the United States government (U.S. Capitol) or certain state government (State Capitol). In colonial times, before the USA was born in 1776, the capitol was a seat of the House of Burgesses - the first elected legislative assembly in the New World.
In fact, the Capitol Building, which currently dominates the eastern part of Colonial Williamsburg is the third building put up at this place in 1934. Well, the fact that it's not original building didn't change my opinion that the place is unique, of great historical value and simply the highlight of Williamsburg, Virginia and even the USA.
Address: Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, VA 23187
Directions: At the eastern end of the main avenue (Duke of Gloucester Street), approx. 0.8 mi east of the Bruton Church. From the Visitors Center take a blue line shuttle bus and take off on the second bus stop.
Phone: +1 (757) 229-1000
More Things to Do in Virginia (29)
More Reviews (120)
- See All Squirrels downtown
- See All Mechanicsville - Nat's neighbourhood
- See All The worst food + drink and drive :-)
- See All Southern hospitality under $50!
- See All Arlington - Books exclusively on women
- See All Virginia makes great ham!
- Go for a hike!
- As usual + more films/memory cards
- See All For coming to the USA first time :-)
- No specifically Virginian tourist trap...
- See All In Virginian bed :-)
- See All Waynesboro - Great soup for only $0.99!
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Virginia?Share Your Travels