"Those inevitable pyramids" Giza - The Pyramids & Bus Tours Tip by TheLongTone

I would recommend Bristol board and PVA
      A black bag flies off into the Western Desert
      Pyramid courtesy Fin
    by TheLongTone

OK, you're in Cairo, you go see the Pyramids. It's not actually illegal to miss them, but to do so would be wilfully perverse.

It's worth knowing that there are few facilities at the site. The only source of refreshment I saw were a number of hawkers with ice-buckets of Coke, Sprite &c. So I'd strongly advise taking your own food & drink.

This is particularly so if you want to actually go inside the Pyramids. These things are liable to change, but when I visited they were selling a limited number of entry tickets, releasing half of the day's allocation first thing and the remainder after lunch. So if you pitch up mid-morning as I did you've got a few hours hanging about if you want to do this.

I'd also recommend waiting a while between buying the pyramid entry ticket & actually using it.
Most people don't. As a result the way in/out is incredibly congested: it's only a narrow tunnel, quite long & very claustrophobic. I got the impression that if I'd left it an hour or so it would have been better. But I'd spent hours on the site , was hungry and thirsty for ahwa mazbout, so I rushed it.

However cynical you are about these things (I rate pretty high) the pyramids are simply awe-inspiring, truly one of the wonders of the world).

Taxi there was around Le40 (maybe I was a bit overcharged): coming back a little more. Lots of taxis in Maidan Tahrir, not so many at Giza!

Funnily enough, the best impression of how vast they are is not from close-up. But if you visit the Citadel you can get a fantastic view, across Islamic & 19th-century Cairo, across the Nile and across Giza: there in the distance you can see the pyramids on the horizon. The intervening view gives you the sense of their distance, so you are very aware of how huge they actually are.

Address: Al Haram Str., Gizeh, Cairo
Directions: Go West until suddenly the apartment blocks stop & there's the Western Desert. Can't miss 'em.

• Updated Jan 12, 2010

“If the viper is too heavy to carry, why use a python as a head-cushion?”

Have you been to Cairo?