"Charlottesville - Monticello" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Things to Do Tip by matcrazy1
Virginia Things to Do: 263 reviews and 701 photos
Monticello is Thomas Jefferson's (US president 1801-1809) plantation manor. I took a guided tour of the Jefferson's house and walked along the grounds with vegetable garden terrace and the Mulberry Row. There is also charming little Monticello Cemetery where Jefferson with other members of his family is burried.
One of the most unique aspects of Jefferson?s design for Monticello is his incorporation of the "dependencies," or essential service rooms, beneath raised, L-shaped terraces extending from southern and northern side of the house. They are invisible from the level of the primary entrances - partly put below the ground level, covered by long terraces and hidden behind bushes and other plants. The dependency wings are connected to one another through the cellars in the house?s basement by an all-weather passageway. They form real underground house. The idea of invisible seperating of the living and work area built into the hillside was really great - both comfortable and wise (risk of fire from kitchen).
Address: 931 Thomas Jefferson Parkway, Charlottesville, VA
Directions: Drive VA-20 South (Monticello Ave.) and turn left to VA-53 just after crossing I-64, some 1.5 mile up turn left to Monticello parking lots.
Phone: +1 (434) 984 9822
More Things to Do in Virginia (29)
More Reviews (120)
- See All Squirrels downtown
- See All Mechanicsville - Nat's neighbourhood
- See All The worst food + drink and drive :-)
- See All Southern hospitality under $50!
- See All Arlington - Books exclusively on women
- See All Virginia makes great ham!
- Go for a hike!
- As usual + more films/memory cards
- See All For coming to the USA first time :-)
- No specifically Virginian tourist trap...
- See All In Virginian bed :-)
- See All Waynesboro - Great soup for only $0.99!
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Virginia?Share Your Travels