"Gone but not forgotten: Brazilian Cafe" Top 5 Page for this destination Closed down restaurants Tip by b1bob

Closed down restaurants, Richmond: 2 reviews and 3 photos

Brazilian Cafe (2004-05)

Brazilian Cafe (2004-05)
      gipper84 enjoying Florianópolis pizza
    by b1bob

Fondest memory: Restaurant Name: Brasilian Cafe (closed: late 2005)

Ironically enough, this short-lived Brazilian restaurant was located cattywampus from the J.E.B. Stuart statue on Monument Avenue. Maciek, Urszula, and I discovered this place quite by accident in October, 2004. We had intended on taking supper that night at La Casita Mexican restaurant. It was Urszula who discovered it on the walk to the Jefferson Hotel when she had to use the loo. We decided on the way back that it might be convenient for us to give it a try. For awhile, we were the only ones there, but then it was a Wednesday night. I'm glad we did. The food was superb and so was the service.

Favourite Dish: Maciek and I had the Bife Acebolado (steak with onions, for those from Roxboro) with black beans and rice. Urszula had some beef with either white cheese or sauce served with tortillas. The waiter (and owner) is a native Brazilian and I ordered in Portuguese. Maciek, Urszula, and I had guaraná to drink. Several months later, my buddy Lee and I went back for some Brazilian pizza. The owner was glad to see me again. This pizza, the Florianópolis, has cheese, tomatoes, onions, and peppers. Normally, it comes with pineapple, but we asked them to leave it off and they were glad to do it. They also gave us some hearts of palm just because Lee asked what they were. The owner said we would never be able to eat the whole large pizza ourselves, but we did. I can't understand why it closed down. It had a prime location and it served good food with typical Brazilian hospitality. It is not because Richmond is not ready for international cuisine because many such restaurants survive.

en español, em português

• Updated Oct 11, 2007

Comments

b1bob Visits Here Frequently!

b1bob

Have you been to Richmond?