"Khiva – and visiting Ichon Q'ala" Top 5 Page for this destination Khiva Favorite Tip by Trekki
Khiva Favorites: 9 reviews and 28 photos
Favorite thing: Khiva's attraction is the old city, called Ichon Q'ala. If I am referring to Khiva, I always mean this part, although it also has the so-called Dichon Q'ala, the new town, surrounding it.
I highly recommend you stay minimum one night, to get the most out of your visit to Khiva. Two days would be even better, if you have time enough. I stayed two nights and spend one day, but now I regret not having stayed one more day.
Wherever you stay, either inside or outside of the old town, you will have to pay the entrance fee. You can walk through the city without paying, but as soon as you enter one of the buildings, they will require seeing your ticket.
Entrance fee is paid at the gates; I paid mine at the western gate. It was 7000 sum per person, additional 2500 sum for taking pictures.
Be aware that you would need to pay extra entrance fee at Juma mosque (1000 sum) and for the viewpoint within the ark (2000 sum), but both do not require additional payment for pictures taking.
At the gates, you can also get a small city map for 1000 sum.
(All prices as of July 2006)
Fondest memory: Well, again to the question how much days you should spend in Khiva.
All what I described above, I saw within one day. But I should have spent 1 additional day, as there are much more sights I now wish to have seen.
These would be:
Within Ichon Q'ala:
· all city gates, from both sides (inside the old city and outside),
· the bathhouse at the eastern gate,
· Ak mosque at the eastern gate,
· the caravan seray north of the eastern gate,
· the bazaar at the eastern side.
Within Dishon Q'ala:
· Isfandiyar Palace: a summer palace of 1912, overly decorated and painted just 300 m est of the northern gate);
· Chaudra Khovli: another summer residence of a Khiva nobleman (11 km east of the centre).
More Favorites in Khiva (1)
More Reviews (29)
- If you think you need to shop in Khiva..
- Travel light !
- No warnings or dangers in Khiva !
- Simply be prepared (not a real trap)
- Well, nightlife the Khiva way
- Hotel Islambek – nice, central and clean
- See All Khiva’s landmarks – 3 colorful minaretts
- See All Chaikhana Zarafshon – the best of all
- See All Exquisite tile work – don’t miss to...
- Take the plane – Urgench is near
- Watch out for all the smaller minaretts
Been to Khiva?Share your travels with the world!
Trekki's Related Pages
Explore the World
Have you been to Khiva?Share Your Travels
Latest Khiva hotel reviews
- Hotel Islambek
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013