VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Available everywhere!: "Kushwari" Information & Sources Tip by TheLongTone

Information & Sources, Cairo: 35 reviews and 33 photos

Mass catering: a kushwari kitchen
by TheLongTone

Kushwari is a mixture of rice, pasta and pulses served with a sprinkling of crispy fried onion and a dollop of a spicy tomato sauce and then dressed to taste with hot chilli oil and lemon juice, and is simply one of the great dishes of the world.
I know it doesn't sound that exciting but it tastes great and after a bowl you feel thoroughly fed. Moreover you stay feeling fed for a while. The Ancient Egyptians cultivated onions and lentils and made pasta. I know the tomatoes come from the Americas, but I got a real feeling that this was the sort of stuff you'd be lunching on if you had a long afternoon of pyramid-building ahead of you. All for a couple of Egyptian pounds.

There are kushwari diners everywhere: they can be recognised by the vast bowls of the main ingredients.

Favorite Dish: If I just feel like lunch, a small bowl will do me.
If I'm hungry I could do a large.

That's about the choice in a Kushwari diner, although they generally also have a fridge full of canned drinks. Me, I'm off for a carrot juice at the doubtless adjacent juice bar.

Price Comparison: least expensive
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Local

• Updated Jan 29, 2010

Comments

TheLongTone

“If the viper is too heavy to carry, why use a python as a head-cushion?”

Have you been to Cairo?