"Prancing white horses" Hofburg Palace Complex Tip by TheWanderingCamel

Hofburg Palace Complex, Vienna: 217 reviews and 468 photos

Beautiful horses
by TheWanderingCamel

Seeing a performance of the famous white Lipizzaners of Vienna's Spanish Riding School is top of the list of "Things to do" for lots of visitors to the city. Easier said than done ... and the experience may not be quite as enthralling as you expect either. It's all very formal and precise.

There are a very limited number of performances through the year and whilst booking online makes it easier these days to find out details and book, tickets sell out well in advance. An alternative is to attend a morning practice session (cheaper too). These take place between 10 and 12, Tuesday to Saturday. Tickets are sometime available on the day.

I have to say, having been once to a practice session, I wouldn't be queuing up for a ticket to a performance. There's no denying the skill, the dedication and the tradition of the School, but I like my horses moving freely and this, to me, comes very close to circus performance and whilst I love the things humans can do under the Big Top, I don't like to see animals behaving unnaturally.

Guided tours of the stables are also available.

Address: Michaelerplatz