"Visit the tiny vibrant village north of Gyangze!" Top 5 Page for this destination Gyangze Off The Beaten Path Tip by Confucius

Gyangze Off The Beaten Path: 1 reviews and 3 photos

This is the little village I visited from Gyangze!
by Confucius

This is the little village I visited from Gyangze!
    by Confucius
      This is the little boy that followed me everywhere
    by Confucius
      Old ruins are atop the hill, Tibetan houses below!
    by Confucius

Rent a bicycle from a Gyangze hotel and go north on Highway 204 past Pala Manor about 4 kilometers and you'll see a quaint village on the right flanked by old ruins. The ruins of an old monastery are on top of the hill and below are traditional Tibetan farmhouses. You'll see the typical countryside icons of horse carts, dirty kids, and peasants carrying wheat on their backs all set against the beautiful backdrop of this scenic valley. The road here is not paved and I didn't see any stores, so be careful with your bicycle and bring your own water.

I don't even know the name of this village as it's too small for Chinese maps. Perhaps it's just part of Gyangze but it's a long hike from town across farm fields and down dirt roads. The people here are very friendly and everybody seems to be quite photogenic as well. The little boy in my additional photo followed me everywhere on foot until I got back on my bicycle and left the village.

You should be able to go in the morning and return to Gyangze in time for a quick lunch. It's a fun excursion if you're eager to get away from the city for a while and observe Tibetan country life.

• Written Oct 7, 2006

Comments

Confucius

“Yes, I am indeed the same Confucius from Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Northeast Asia branch!”

Have you been to Gyangze?