"So many different things to..." Malaysia Favorite Tip by richiecdisc

Malaysia General: 326 reviews and 270 photos

Favorite thing: So many different things to see in Malaysia, but I?d say that if you could only visit one part, then head to the east coast where you?ll find some of the finest beaches in the world and interesting exotic Muslim market towns, a potpourri of visual and gastronomic delights just waiting for your camera and tongue.

Fondest memory: We?d experienced the mad rush of Kuala Lumpur and had fled for the peace and solitude of the east coast. Though it was strange at first, we?d gotten used to it and very much enjoyed the beaches and exotic market towns. We?d made out way up the coast and had to cross back over to get to Penang, and then make our way up to Thailand; we reluctantly booked our bus for the journey. It was scheduled to be a seven-hour trip and on boarding the crowded bus, we were obviously the only foreigners on board. It was a dusty, bumpy ride and passing through fairly high hill country, it was quite pretty too. Elephant crossing signs were in abundance as were numerous fruit stands, selling the local harvest. And it was harvest season, as we?d quickly learn; the bus made a stop at seemingly every stand on the journey! And at each stop, we?d all pile out of the bus and sample/purchase what was on offer. Mangosteens were our favorite, an exotic purple fruit of uncompromising tart flavor. But most were in search of the Durian, an almost mythical fruit in the Asian culture, purported to have aphrodisiac qualities. Famous among backpackers as nearly inedible due to its pungent smell, I was nonetheless intrigued to try it. But they were big and I didn?t want to buy a whole one just to later chuck it, especially in front of people who would have thought me mad! This proved to be no problem as the locals on the bus took great pride in this fruit and couldn?t help but share it. I smartly held my breath and took my first bite, only to find a fruit so velvety it could only be confused with custard. Its smooth flesh was so effortless to chew; it?s taste a mixture of custard and papaya. I found it so enticing, I could hardly wait for the next offer. The third time, I was asked from behind, and on turning, a piece was nearly put directly into my mouth, and I had no time to hold my breath, and finally the odor whiffed into my nostrils, a smell so repugnant that I nearly threw up, but I managed to take the now seemingly toxic substance and swallow it, all the while smiling; not wanting to let on that it bothered me. Now, they all patted me on the back as if to say, I was one of them; all laughing at our good fortune to be on this great bus journey during the durian harvest time. I couldn?t help but smile. Could you?

• Updated Aug 24, 2002

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Malaysia?