"Controversial flag?" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Local Custom Tip by matcrazy1

Virginia Local Customs: 89 reviews and 177 photos

PROUD OF THE SOUTH

PROUD OF THE SOUTH
      THE MUSEUM OF THE CONFEDERACY, RICHMOND
      FLAGS IN MUSEUM OF THE CONFEDERACY, RICHMOND
      TENNESSEE FLAG IN MUSEUM OF THE CONFEDERACY
      MISSOURI FLAG IN MUSEUM OF THE CONFEDERACY
    by matcrazy1

I have seen this flag many times in Virginia but almost exclusively in gift shops and museums. Well, at the beginning of my trip, driving from Arlington to Richmond I've seen it put by a single house off the beaten path. I thought it's a flag of a footbal/baseball club, silly me :-). Let me explain now.

The Stars and Bars flag of the Confederacy was similar to the Stars and Stripes flag of the Union. Thus, the commanders had problems to distinguish their troops from those of the enemy. That's why the different flag was adopted. Thus, it became the most well-known of the Confederate flags: the two crossed bars with the 13 stars (the Southern Cross) like in the included photo taken in the Haversack Store of the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond.
The flag with the Southern Cross was called the Confederate Battle Flag and has become the generally recognized symbol of the South.

CONTROVERSIAL FLAG?
I got to know later during my trip that unfortunately Neo-Nazis, racists, skin-heads and the like have adopted this flag and desecrated it by their acts. They have no right to co-opt this flag! Maybe, that's why some Americans feel offended looking at this flag. The confederate flag also symbolizes slavery to Black community of the USA even now. In reality, it is a flag of honor, designed by the Confederacy as a banner representing state's rights and Southern culture. It is still displayed in the South. I saw this flag put in front of right many houses throughout the South during my trip.

Later on during my trip, I met a young guy in a T-shirt with this flag on its front and writing on the back:
"If this flag offends you that means you need a history lesson". Enough said...

othercontact: http://www.gametntheclan.com
Phone: +1 (800) VISIT VA
Website: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

• Updated Oct 4, 2006

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Virginia?