"Flags and ancestry" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Local Custom Tip by matcrazy1

Virginia Local Customs: 89 reviews and 177 photos

by matcrazy1

In Virginia I have seen flags of various countries put in front of private houses, in yards, on bumber stickers or on local shop window glass. These flags usually showed the roots or maybe just sympathy of the natives. This one on my picture is the Scottish Rampant Lion flag. It's the Royal Flag of Scotland now only used by the monarch.

Well, if you want to get some information on local ancestry check names in any local phone book. They were available in some of my Virginian hotel rooms. I was suprised to find quite many German names in Shenandoah Valley (northwestern Virginia). I was told about large Irish ancestry in Virginia, but what's the most typical Irish surname? There are few Slavic/Polish names (they typically end with "ski" or incorrect "sky") in Virginia and in contrast to the West I didn't see any flag of Poland in the South.

When I looked in southern phone books, l saw that almost all the names were Anglo-Irish, add French ones futher down. It was very different from the West (and North as well, I am sure), where they were Spanish (Latino), Polish, Czech, German, Italian, Swedish, Greek, Armenian, Lithuanian etc. Only a few European nationalities were rarely found, like Dutch or French, in the West.

It seems that the West (and the North) is the land of immigration, the south traditionally is not. My question is why?

• Updated Oct 2, 2006

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Virginia?