"Washington Dulles International Airport" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Transportation Tip by matcrazy1

Virginia Transportation: 44 reviews and 64 photos

A MOBIL LOUNGER AT DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

A MOBIL LOUNGER AT DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
      DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, MAIN TERMINAL
      DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
      DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
    by matcrazy1
      I, URSZULA AND NAT AT DULLES (OUR LAST PICTURE)
    by matcrazy1

This huge airport is located not in Washington, DC but in Northern Virginia both in Fairfax and Loundoun county, approximately 23 miles west of Arlington (26 mi to downtown Washington, D.C.) on the Fairfax-Loudoun County line. It accommodates all international air traffic for the Washington area. To my surprise Washington, DC is probably the only capital in the world which doesn't have any airport :-).

Unfortunatelly the metro rail doesn't reach the airport. You must use hotel shuttle, taxi or bus to get to your destination or the nearest metro station.

From my plane I walked a jetway to terminal but to my suprise it was not the end. From this terminal put up somewhere among numerous runways we boarded unusual bus-like vehicle, a mobil lounger that had a cabin on a hydraulic lift and had oversize tyres to accommodate the weight. This mobile lounger took me to final terminal when I passed through the customs. Instead of some questions (like it worked a year before + agricultural check-up) my face was phtographed (don't forget to keep smiling, at least a bit!) and I was fingerprinted. It worked fast and after some 40 min. after landing I was again on American soil. Soon we discovered that KLM lost our luggage.

We were desperately looking for our luggage on a carouselle long time and... nothing. It was not a fan at that moment as I packed on-board only some travel books, laptop, photo and video camera and basic cosmetics. Well, we both needed clean clothes after almost 30 hours jorney. The airport itself looked very modest after Shippol, Amsterdam and that one in Detroit but better than LAX in Los Angeles. We had to find KLM to report our lost luggae. It took us some 30 min. Finally we were allowed to spend up to $50 per person per day for things necessary for us until they find our lost luggage and call us (luckily we had Polish cell phones that worked in the USA) and KLM paid ($40) for our night taxi to Days Inn Arlington.

Mode: TO
othercontact: http://www.metwashairports.com
Phone: +1 (703) 572-2700
Type: Airplane
Website: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/9ecb/500/9

• Updated Oct 1, 2006

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Virginia?