Indian Fields Tavern: "Charles City - Real Virginia cooking!" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Restaurant Tip by matcrazy1
Virginia Restaurants: 85 reviews and 165 photos
Nat (b1bob) wanted we to sample real Virginia cooking and that's why he chose just this restaurant for our early lunch. It was right place for delicious southern food.
The restaurant was placed in nice looking 2-store southern style house, mostly hidden by numerous decorative trees and bushes. The interior design was simple but nice and decorated with pictures depicting southern life in the past.
The service was good. The meals were not that overly large like in many U.S. restaurants but delicious.
The menu was relatively short with exact explanations on each served dish. Their menu change with seasonal availability of fresh ingredients. It includes 2 appetizers, a few salads and sandwiches and four main courses:
1. Jumbo lump crabcakes with Old Bay scallion remoulade sauce ($14.95),
2. Deep fried Chesapeake oysters with Old Bay scallion remoulade sauce ($11.95),
3. Tricolor cheese tortellini in a garlic and chardonnay cream sauce with grilled chicken bread ($8.25)
4. James river chicken Saltimboca - chicken breast served with fresh sage leaves and Smithfield ham, finished with an oyster cream accented with bourboun ($9.95).
Daily 11.00 am - 3.30 pm for lunch
Sun - Thu: 5.00 pm - 9.00 pm for dinner
Fri & Sat: 5.00 pm - 10.00 pm for dinner
Sunday Brunch served 11.00 am - 3.30 pm.
Favorite Dish: Nat and I ordered baked Virginia ham (not mentioned in the menu) with traditional pineapple-raisin sauce served with spoon bread and a medley of zucchini and red peppers.
Urszula had James River Chicken Saltimboca - chicken breast layered with fresh sage leaves and Smithfield ham, finished with an oyster cream accented with Maker's Mark bourbon served with the aforementioned side dishes.
Both dishes tasted delicious. Virginia ham is a bit salty. It's my recommendation. More pictures of the restaurant, the meals and the menu are put in my Charles City travelogue Indian Fields Tavern.
Address: 9220 John Tyler Mem. Hwy., Charles City, VA 23030
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: In Charles City, central-east Virginia on scenic Route 5 (SR-5), 37 miles east of Richmond, 25 miles west of Williamsburg,140 miles south of Washington D.C. Details in my Charles City Transportation Tips.
othercontact: Fax: +1 (804) 829-5411
Phone: +1 (804) 829-5004
More Restaurants in Virginia (11)
More Reviews (138)
- See All Squirrels downtown
- See All Mechanicsville - Nat's neighbourhood
- See All Pulaski - County Courthouse
- See All The worst food + drink and drive :-)
- See All Southern hospitality under $50!
- See All Arlington - Books exclusively on women
- See All Virginia makes great ham!
- Go for a hike!
- As usual + more films/memory cards
- See All For coming to the USA first time :-)
- No specifically Virginian tourist trap...
- See All In Virginian bed :-)
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Virginia?Share Your Travels