Brasilian Cafe: "Richmond - Great Brasilian food!" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Restaurant Tip by matcrazy1

Virginia Restaurants: 85 reviews and 165 photos

BIFE ACEBOLADO, BLACK BEANS, RICE; BRASILIAN CAFE

BIFE ACEBOLADO, BLACK BEANS, RICE; BRASILIAN CAFE
      BRASILIAN CAFE, RICHMOND
      URSZULA (matcrazy0) AT BRASILIAN CAFE, RICHMOND
      NAT (b1bob) AT BRASILIAN CAFE, RICHMOND
      BRASILIAN CAFE LOGO, RICHMOND
    by matcrazy1

When we walked to Jefferson Hotel, Urszula (matcrazy0) discovered this new restaurant looking for the bathroom. On the way back we ate supper there. I'm glad we did. It was our second Brasilian restaurant ever (after Krakow. Poland) and we became lovers of Brazilian food.

For awhile, we were the only consumers on that particular Wednesday night. A couple of students turned up as we were finishing our meal. A waiter was very nice although we had to wait maybe a little bit too long for our meals. But I can't complain. Nat enjoyed talking with the waiter and owner (a native Brazilian) in Portuguese.

Favorite Dish: Bife Acebolado and Guaranį drink.

First we followed the suggestion of Nat and ordered Guarana to drink. It tasted very good, a bit like Cream Soda.

What is Guaranį?
It is a tropical plant with small red fruit with a high caffeine content. Folks in Amazon region used to chew guaranį seeds as a source of energy or drink the powder dissolved in water. Nat told us that guaranį is also a very popular soft drink in Brazil. Guaranį is available in cans in Brazil and Latin stores in the USA but probably not in my country, Poland.

Nat and I ordered a meal called the
Bife Acebolado. What's that?
It is a loin steak topped with caramelized onions and served with a side of black beans and rice. The steak was grilled as it should be (I prefer well done). Black beans are not popular in Poland, I can't remember whether I ate them before. Anyway, I liked them a lot.

Urszula had some beef with either white cheese or sauce served with tortillas and rice with vegetables. We shared our meals, and I must admit that this, unique for me beef, tasted great.

We paid $39.07 (with tax, add a tip) for 3 meals and drinks.

Address: 1600 Monument Avenue, Richmond, VA 23220
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Cattywampus from the J.E.B. Stuart statue on Monument Avenue underneath Stuart Apartments.
Phone: +1 (804) 359-0543
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Other
Website: http://rain-tree.com/guarana.htm

• Updated Sep 29, 2006

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Virginia?