Pattersons: "Pure unadulterated class" Bouillabaisse Tip by JulesH

Bouillabaisse, London: 1 reviews and 1 photos

Simple class
by JulesH

I nearly didn't write this tip, as this is one of the best, yet most accessible restaurants in London and I selfishly wanted to keep it to myself, but in the spirit of VT, here it is:

The ambience at Patterson's is understated and classy, neutral and welcoming, but this is only the beginning of your dining experience. The restaurant is owned and run by Raymond Patterson (former head chef at the Garrick club) and his son His wife and daughter work the front of house, so it really is a family affair. The service is unobtrusive, yet attentive and friendly.

Three courses will usually cost you 40 per head on the standard menu, but whenever we go we take advantage of a regularly available TopTable special offer which reduces the food bill by a staggering 50%. We unfortunately then spent that saving on a spectacular bottle of Premier Cru 2000 vintage wine from the very impressive wine list.

The food here is of the utmost quality and every last mouthful is a delight. Although this is slightly more expensive than the usual midweek restaurant we might frequent, this was well worth every penny for the experience, the excellent quality of the food and the fact that we didn't feel patronised here.

This is the perfect restaurant for any occasion when you want to be a little bit impressed by the experience. If anyone ever asks me if I know a good restaurant, this is always the first place I recommend. If you go to only one restaurant in London, this should be it!

Favorite Dish: I couldn't possibly choose one dish I liked best, but to give you an idea of the kind of thing you might expect here, we had an amuse bouche of mushroom soup, a starter of farm reared squab (baby pigeon) with quails egg and roast foie gras, a main course of scallops with belly of pork and dessert of chilled orange and redcurrant soup with orange beignets and ice cream. On valentines day we had a 5 course taster menu including a glass of champagne for 50 a head.

Yes, maybe it does sound pretentious, but every dish I have ever eaten here has been prepared to perfection, not too much or too little, and every flavour complemented another.

Address: 4 Mill Street, London, W1S 2AX
Rating: 5
Theme: Local

• Updated Apr 26, 2008

JulesH Lives Here!

“Travel to expand the experience and to live one little adventure after another. ”

Have you been to London?