Grand Hotel Main Dinning Room: "Skip Dinner" Mackinac Island Restaurant Tip by jeffsgirl1107

Mackinac Island Restaurants: 28 reviews and 18 photos

I have always wanted to go to the Grand Hotel for a "special" dinner. My husband and I went to Mackinac Island for our 1 year anniversary. We decided to have our anniversary dinner at the main dinning room. We read up on the hotel and the dress code and we knew going in that it would be an expensive meal. We figured it would be a once in a lifetime experience. How right we were, we will never go back. Once in a liftime was plenty. To begin, we "dressed up" as the hotel's web site stated that women wear their finest couture and the men were dinner jackets and ties. Unfortunatley no one else seemed to be aware of the dress code. We approached the dinning room and were asked for our room key, as we were not staying in the hotel, we explained we had only come for dinner. Their began our odessy of being treated like second class citizens. We paid the $150 charge at the door, and were given a hot pink dinner ticket which we had to present to our waiter. We were seated and our waiter asked if we wanted any thing to drink. We ordered ice tea. Our waiter explained there would be an additional charge for the tea. We just paid $150 and tea is not included? We agreed to pay the additional charge and were given our menus. Salad to start. Two pieces of iceburg lettuce, one grape tomato, one cruton and half a table spoon of dressing. I ordered the crab stuffed white fish and my husband had the filet mignon. The whitefish was about the same caliber as the local Red Lobster and the filet mignon was right up there with the salisbury steak at Ponderosa. Not exactly fine dinning. The only good thing about the entire meal was the coffee at the end, it was very good, not $150 good, but good. No drink refills were offered. After desert and coffee, we waited for the bill for our $2.00 ice teas and they never came. Our waiter stood across the room and watched us the entire time, but never came back to our table. We finally left the dinning room with out paying for our ice tea, but only after waiting about 30 minutes.

Price Comparison: most expensive
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 1
Theme: Other

• Written Sep 24, 2006

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Mackinac Island?