"LE PARC MONCEAU" Parc Monceau Tip by thinking
Parc Monceau, Paris: 12 reviews and 37 photos
The park was established by Phillippe d'Orléans, Duke of Chartres, a cousin of the king. He started buying land on which to establish the garden in 1769, and employed Louis Carrogis Carmontelle to design the gardens. He was a close friend of the Prince of Wales, later George IV, and a lover of all things English. As a result, his aim was to create an informal English-style garden in the middle of Paris. By 1778, through successive purchases, the garden had grown to 12 hectares. It became known as the Folie de Chartres.
The park is unusual in France due to its English style - its informal layout, curved walkways and randomly-placed statues distinguish it from the more traditional, French-style garden.
It also includes a collection of scaled-down architectural features - including an Egyptian pyramid, a Chinese fort, a Dutch windmill, and Corinthian pillars. A number of these are masonic references, as Philippe d'Orléans was a leading freemason. The park includes statues of famous French figures including Guy de Maupassant, Frédéric Chopin, Charles Gounod, Ambroise Thomas and Edouard Pailleron.
During the French revolution of 1793 the Duke was executed by guillotine, and the garden was taken into public ownership.
In 1797, it was the site of the first silk parachute jump, when André-Jacques Garnerin jumped from a Montgolfier hot air balloon, landing in the park where a large crowd was gathered.
The garden was purchased by the city of Paris in 1860. Half of the land was sold for the construction of new houses. Thanks to Baron Haussmann, the other half was preserved as green space and became a public park, inaugurated by Napoleon III on 13 August 1861.
othercontact: 8th & 17th Arrondissements
More Off The Beaten Path in Paris (7)
More Reviews (113)
- See All THE BEST WORKERS IN FRANCE
- See All 10,000 BICYCLES IN PARIS AT 1000...
- See All MOST PHARMACIES ARE CLOSED ON SUNDAYS...
- See All 2 star restaurant
- See All THE MARKET AT ALMA-MARCEAU
- See All IN ST-DENIS: AN OASIS FOR WOMEN
- See All WHAT IS La France Profonde" or "DEEP...
- See All CHARMING BED AND BREAKFAST NETWORK
- See All PlAN DE PARIS MAP IS THE BEST!
- BRING YOUR OWN DVD'S FOR EXERCISE
- "La plus belle avenue du monde" for the...
- See All AUTUMN FESTIVAL SEPTEMBER 14-DECEMBER...
thinking's Related Pages
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels