"Pathway to Bridge and history" Natural Bridge of Virginia Tip by matcrazy1
Natural Bridge of Virginia, Natural Bridge: 8 reviews and 20 photos
I had to get to the bottom of Cedar Creek Gorge to see the Natural Bridge. While almost all visitors took a shuttle, I decided to walk pathway down to Bridge (137 steps) passing by small waterfalls and crossing forest with beautiful fall trees. It took me some 20 min.
On the way I've seen a plaque (picture 2) put by Daughters of the American Revolution in 1926 commemorating two historical events:
1. George Washington, later the first US President, came to the site in 1750 as a young surveyoron behalf Lord Fairfax;
2. He purchased 157 acres (635,000 m²) of land including the Natural Bridge from King George III of England in 1774.
Address: PO Box 57, Natural Bridge, VA 24578
Directions: In western Virginia, over 2 hours west of Richmond, and over 3 hours southwest of Washington, DC; off I-81: take exit 175 or 180 to US-11 (S. Lee Highway).
Phone: +1 (800) 533-1410
More Reviews (10)
- Virginia's Piedmont
- See All Don't believe in all advertisements
- Monacan Indian customs and legend
- Did you ever eat Jefferson? :-)
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Natural Bridge?Share Your Travels