"Ride the waves on the Cpt. Morgan" Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Things to Do Tip by evaanna

Hel Things to Do: 39 reviews and 88 photos

The Cpt. Morgan and its owner

The Cpt. Morgan and its owner
      Wartime shipwrecks near Hel
      The Cpt. Morgan at Hel
      The Cpt. Morgan returning from a fishing trip
    by evaanna
      Unloading fishing gear after the trip
    by evaanna

If you can't take a trip on one of the big boats going to Gdansk or Sopot, don't despair. You can still enjoy a round boat trip into the open sea on one of the smaller boats. They are there off season as well and for the small sum of 10 (for 30 min.) or 15 (for 45 min.) zloties will take you along the coast to see the war time shipwrecks, the beaches and the lighthouse at Hel. We chose the Cpt. Morgan, a fishing boat built of wood after the Viking designs. It was my birthday and, coincidentally, the boat turned out to be exactly my age (well, not to the day, but anyway). Beautifully renovated (I wish I could undergo this as well), it is now used for boat trips, fishing trips for groups, trips organised to watch sunset or sunrise at sea. I somehow don't believe I would get up that early but even by day we greatly enjoyed the rocking of the boat to the sound of traditional shanties, with the wind in our faces and the sun shining brightly. The boating fan that I am, I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate my birthday.

Address: 84-150 Hel, Wiejska 21
Phone: (058) 675 00 91 or 0602 376 275
Website: http://www.captainmorgan.cypel.pl

• Updated Apr 29, 2008

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2016 at 5:45 AM

I regret I didn't get to Hel when I was in Gdansk. We went to Sopot which was OK, but I think I would have preferred Hel. I live in a village on the water... grew up with it... always within 30 minutes of the coast (east or west) no matter where I went. Very satisfying.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
      Jan 22, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Your description holds the reasons I should have visited Hel. Gosia wanted to take me to the pier, which was very nice on that hot day, but we didn't stay long. Lunch and go. I like Gdansk much better ... as well as the little museum at the old shipyard. Have they expanded or improved it in these last several years?

• evaanna's Profile Photo
      Jan 25, 2016 at 2:59 AM

I'm afraid I haven't been there yet.

evaanna Visits Here Frequently!

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Have you been to Hel?