Vaccaro's: "Fabulous pastries in Little Italy" Vaccaro's Italian Pastry Shop Tip by Dabs

Napoleon from Vacarro's
      Napoleon from Vacarro's
  • Vacarro's - Baltimore
    by Dabs

The tourism guy had just assured me that it was OK to walk from the Inner Harbor to Obrycki's along Pratt St., I got within about 5 blocks when I realized that he had me walking through a housing project! It was starting to rain (good idea to leave that umbrella at the hotel!) and I really wanted to live through the weekend so I turned around and I was hungry. The best thing to do, of course, is stop to get something to eat and when I noticed the sign for Vaccaro's and remembered that they were supposed to have the best cannolis in the city I popped over to try one but got sidetracked by a HUGE vanilla Napoleon. I got it to go and lugged the little general all the way back to the hotel in the rain, I'm pretty sure it weighed about 5 lbs. ;-) Fortunately Hansi and Lori were on hand to help me conquer it, between the 3 of us we polished it off.

Sunday when Patty and I went back to Little Italy, we stopped in again for cannolis but since it was 200 degrees outside, once again I got sidetracked, this time by the gelato. But I did get a cannoli to go :-)

You can also eat in but the prices are slightly higher for dine in than they are for take out. We found a nice bench over by the waterfront and ate our gelato there.

Favorite Dish: The Napoleon was awesome and was really huge, no way I could have eaten it by myself. The scoop of gelato was equally ample, I tried the almond joy and it was delicious. The cannoli made it all the way back to Chicago with me, also pretty tasty. There were all kinds of other tempting cookies and pastries, all of them decadent and HUGE!

Address: 222 Albemarle Street

Rating: 5
Theme: Italian

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Sep 20, 2006

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Baltimore?