"remain aware" Savannah Warnings Or Dangers Tip by PA2AKgirl

Savannah Warnings and Dangers: 32 reviews and 21 photos

maybe we should have seen this in the daylight
by PA2AKgirl

You generally feel safe in Savannah. People are always around the main tourist sites and you do see police patrolling. However, I read that recently Savannah’s crime rate has jumped dramatically. I didn’t want to believe it but it sadly seems true. However, the historic district, the city market, and down on River Street don’t have many problems. Like in a lot of cities, the problems are isolated and not where you’d probably be going if you’re a tourist. Yet, don’t let this get your guard down because when we were walking down River Street along the river at dusk, we almost did get mugged (I think). I wanted to see my favorite waving girl before we left and when we got there, the light was almost gone. While the path did have streetlights, it didn’t help it was almost entirely empty all the way down there. (She’s separated and way down at the end of the walk) There was one man hanging out who didn’t look entirely “with it”. He was walking toward us following a group of 3 guys. When he saw us, he turned, stared at me and my bag, hung back and waited about 45 seconds before he trailed us. When we got to the Waving Girl, he waited for us outside the circle that surrounds her, lurking in the bushes. I quietly told Bobby and we left through one of these bushes on the other side. Maybe it was innocent, I didn’t want to find out and either did Bobby. Just be aware who is around you or following you.

• Updated Sep 19, 2006

More Warnings and Dangers in Savannah (1)

Comments

PA2AKgirl Visits Here Frequently!

PA2AKgirl

“A pet should not have a wardrobe”

Have you been to Savannah?