"Lombard Street - Crookedest Street in the World?" Top 5 Page for this destination Lombard Street Tip by Ewingjr98
Lombard Street, San Francisco: 137 reviews and 230 photos
Lombard Street is not really any steeper than most of the other streets in San Francisco, but for some reason, over a single-block stretch, they took out the parking on the sides of the street and made a one-lane road with 8 "S" turn-type switchbacks. This famous section, beautifully landscaped with flowers and bushes, is located between Hyde and Leavenworth Streets, and is a huge tourist attraction. This change in traffic pattern was completed in 1922.
Lombard Street has a 27% slope while Filbert Street and 22nd Street have sections with a 31% slope. Additionally, Vermont Street has a section with S-turns similar to Lombard Street, but with just 7 switchbacks, and it is less steep.
Dennis Miller once said that Hillary Clinton's stance on the Iraq war has more twists than Lombard Street... I'm not making a political statement here, just letting you know how many times Lombard Street changes direction!
Address: Lombard Street. Descent begins at Hyde Street.
Directions: Russian Hill
More Reviews (78)
- See All Anchor Steam Beer
- See All Old St. Mary's Church and Square
- See All Mission Dolores Park
- See All Taxis in San Francisco
- See All VT Meet at Calzone's Pizza -- North...
- See All Knuckles Historical Sports Bar -...
- See All Chinatown Shopping -- tea leaves and...
- See All Courtyard By Marriott San Francisco...
- San Francisco Giants
- See All Don't Boo Barry Bonds
- Japanese Tea Garden
Been to San Francisco?Share your travels with the world!
Ewingjr98's Related Pages
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels