"Nsha'Allah: "As God has willed", Use liberally." Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Local Custom Tip by JamalMorelli

Morocco Local Customs: 297 reviews and 362 photos

Nsha'Allah...photo Jamal Morelli
by JamalMorelli

If you are not Muslim, here is the key to getting out of any commitment anyone might be pushing you towards - en-sha allah. often translated as 'God willing' or "As God has willed" - It quite literally means that what will be has already been determined and what we say about the future may not correspond to this destiny.

Something I considered recently is that some Muslims (myself included) use Nsha'allah as a way to say "See God - I included you in my plans! Make my dreams come true!" or "God make it so!" - quite the opposite of the literal meaning which is more at the sobering "God made it so."

Score some culture points

Also, score some culture points by saying Nsha'allah when you are discussing a future event; e.g, "I am going to the store in an hour, Nsha'allah" - it will always be acceptable, you will not be laughed at - just appreciated.

As a Muslim, it is a wonderful thing to say regarding one's own plans. For me, when I say in earnest "Nsha'allah" I mean "Only God could come between us..."

Also used for: Maybe, possibly, sometime after, not now, let me think on it, etc.

Use frequently...

• Updated Nov 8, 2006

JamalMorelli Lives Here!

“A nomad I will remain for life, in love with distant and uncharted places.”

Have you been to Morocco?