"Gifts - a very important custom" Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Local Custom Tip by Pixiekatten
Japan Local Customs: 477 reviews and 616 photos
- Gift giving is very important both business and personal situations.
- Style is everything. The gift itself is of little importance, the ceremony surrounding it is what matters.
- Always wrap gifts. And choose the paper carefully, don?t give anything wrapped in white as it symbolizes death. Don?t use bright colours or bows to wrap the gift either. It is better to have the place you bought the gift to warp it to ensure that it is appropriate.
- Give the person some warning during the evening that you intend to give them a present. Don?t surprise your him/her.
- Give the gift with both hands and accept gifts with both hands.
- Generally, gifts will not be opened while you are there. If your host insist that you open the gift they have given you, do so carefully. They take pride in gift wrapping, show that you appreciate the effort.
- Do not give gifts in odd numbers or the number four, odd numbers are bad luck and four sounds like the word for death in Japanese.
- Gifts should be given at the end of a visit.
- Do not admire anything belonging to your host too closely. The Japanese love to please so you may end up taking it home as a gift.
- Good gift ideas are top choice beef, fruit and alcohol such as brandy, quality whiskey and wine.
More Reviews (75)
- See All SHINKANSEN
- See All VISA
- Hanshin Tigers - Baseball
- See All Great Hostel
- See All HACHIMAN-GU SHRINE - KAMAKURA
- Festival Gate OSAKA - a creepy ghost...
- See All Compulsory rice eating - NIKKO
- See All BENTO - boxed lunch
- See All Threats from the sky
- See All Toy Madness in Tokyo's Kiddy Land
- See All When visiting a mountain town
- See All KYOTO JAZZ
Pixiekatten's Related Pages
Have you been to Japan?Share Your Travels