"Riding JR trains without JR PASS 1" Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Pixiekatten

Japan Warnings and Dangers: 111 reviews and 88 photos

Japan Rail is great. If you have the JR PASS, if not travelling on trains can end up extremely expensive. I had never reflected on this until my last day since I had my passes. But I read that a trainticket from Kyoto to Kansai Airport was going to be about 900yen with a private railcompany. However I was already standing on Kyoto station, in a que for a ticket when I realised I was quing for JR tickets. Well, I thought, surely the difference could be that big.
But it was. I paid 1800yen. And then I got on an expresstrain by mistake and had to pay the conductor another 1100yen! As you can see the difference is HUGE!

Here's some private rail companies:

Tobu (approx. 460 km)
Tobu operates an extensive network of railway lines into the suburbs and prefectures north of Tokyo. Interest for Tourists: Access to Nikko.

Odakyu (approx. 120 km)
Odakyu operates three lines from central Tokyo to western Tokyo and Kanagawa Prefecture. Interest for tourists: Access to Hakone.

Tokyu (approx. 100 km)
Tokyu operates a network of two main lines and several shorter lines in the south of Tokyo. Interest for tourists: Access to Yokohama.

Keisei (approx. 100 km)
Keisei operates a main line and several branch lines from Tokyo to Chiba Prefecture. Interest for tourists: Access to Narita Airport.

Seibu (approx. 180 km)
Seibu operates a network of suburban railway lines west of central Tokyo.

Keikyu (approx. 90 km)
Keikyu connects Tokyo with Yokohama and southern Kanagawa Prefecture. Interest for tourists: Access to Haneda Airport.

Keio operates a network of railway lines west of central Tokyo. Interest for tourists: Access to Takaosan.

Meitetsu operates an extensive railway network around Nagoya. Interest for tourists: Access to Inuyama and Central Japan Airport.

• Written Sep 15, 2006

“Religion, is a smile on a dog.”

Have you been to Japan?