"Nell's A Touch of New Orleans - Fremont Street" Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Restaurant Tip by Ewingjr98

Monterey Restaurants: 207 reviews and 387 photos

Nell's is a Cajun restaurant about 2,000 miles from New Orleans. From the front, the right side of the building is a small dining area while the left side is the bar and small stage. Parking is to the back of the building. Inside the place has a French Quarter flair with colorful walls and tables, along with beads above the bar.

Certainly a unique style of food for the area, the menu features Nell's Famous Gumbo along with other Cajun dishes including po' boys, red beans and rice, black-eyed peas and rice, hush puppies, fried catfish & chicken, and many other New Orleans' favorites. I had the gumbo entree ($13) which comes with any two sides... I chose the red beans and rice along with black-eyed peas and rice; all meals come with corn bread. The gumbo was very tasty, especially the spicy andouille sausage; the chicken pieces were kind of bland. The read beans were also excellent, but I wasn't a huge fan of the black-eyed peas. The meal was huge...the giant bowl of gumbo in itself enough for a meal, and the large sides must've weighed a pound.

The service was something else. When I sat down at the bar, I noticed a huge bucket of Durex condoms in front me... as I was planning to eat dinner, I pushed the bucket o' safety to the back of the bar. When the bartender saw this she grew huffy, slammed the bucket down behind the bar, and said "they're for the customers!" I never expected they were all for her, especially at her age... As I ordered dinner, she was annoyed at my small questions like whether corn bread came with the meal, so finally I moved to a table away from the bar. She was still my server, but after that she settled down a little and provided pretty good service. Though against my better judgment I still gave her a 15% tip for the nice recovery.

The kitchen is open until 11pm.

Address: 2110 N. Fremont St
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Near the Fairgrounds on Fremont
Phone: 641-0793
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: American

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

Ewingjr98

“"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~ Ernest Hemingway”

Have you been to Monterey?