"THE NEW STATE HOUSE" Top 5 Page for this destination State House Tip by moiraistyx
State House, Boston: 47 reviews and 87 photos
Construction of the "new" State House was completed in 1798 after 3 years of hard work. It stands directly across from the Boston Commons and on top of Beacon Hill on land once own by John Hancock. It was designed by a leading architect of the time, Charles Bullfinch. It's famous dome was once made of wooden shingles. Today it is sheather in copper, covered by 23 karat gold. A wooden codfish hangs in the House of Representatives chambers. It is said that the codfish signifies the importance of the fishing industry to the Commonwealth.
Tours are free to the public and the building is open Monday through Friday, 10:00am to 4:00pm.
Address: Beacon Street at Park Street
Phone: +1 617-727-3676
More Reviews (51)
- See All Trolley Tours=Expensive
- See All Artists Are Everywhere
- See All Local Playgrounds
- See All THE BEST CHOWDER EVER
- See All LUXURY IN BACK BAY
- See All COLLEGE STUDENTS GALORE
- See All WHO CAN RESIST THE BIG BUNNY
- See All BOSTON BEAN POT
- See All WHERE'S MY CUE STICK
- PACK FOR THE SEASON-AND THEN SOME
- MAYBE THE CRAZIEST DRIVERS IN THE WORLD
Been to Boston?Share your travels with the world!
moiraistyx's Related Pages
Have you been to Boston?Share Your Travels