"Character's Sports Bar (Marriott) - Old Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Monterey Restaurant Tip by Ewingjr98

Monterey Restaurants: 207 reviews and 387 photos

Characters
      Mike Tyson and Don King
  • Character's Sports Bar (Marriott) - Old Town - Monterey

I'm not big on hotel bars, but it seems that Monterey's only Sports Bars are in major hotels... Character's is really just a sports-themed hotel bar rather than a true sports bar, but I liked it better than Knuckles. Characters has a huge projection-screen on the wall next to the bar, plus a few other TV sprinkled throughout the room. All of the tables are on the same level, so your view of the bottom of the screen might be blocked. Every time I almost forgot I was in a hotel bar, something jumped out at me like the Marriott burger on the menu or the Marriott folder the bill came in.

The worst drawback? The restrooms are about a mile away past the hotel front desk in the lobby. What bar doesn't have restrooms?

I was going to complain about the service here, as my first waitress was pretty slow and not responsive, but the second waitress saved the day. After she started to take care of me I decided to up my tip by a few bucks.

The food here wasn't bad, but then again I haven't had a fish taco in a while so I don't know how good it really was. The salsa was average, but I really liked their guacamole (and I normally hate guacamole!) because it was salty/spicy with pieces of onions and other veggies mixed in.

The beer was cold.

My total bill was $13 for 2 fish tacos and a pint draft of Sierra Nevada.

Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: Local
Website: http://marriott.com/property/phototour.mi?marshaCode=mryca&pageID=HWRAL&imageID=2

• Updated Jan 16, 2007

Comments

Ewingjr98

“"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~ Ernest Hemingway”

Have you been to Monterey?