Lanes Restaurant & Bar: "Lanes Restaurant & Bar, East London" Top 5 Page for this destination Lanes Tip by sue_stone

Lanes, London: 1 reviews and 5 photos

Steve & Kelly at Lanes

Steve & Kelly at Lanes
      Lanes Restaurant & Bar
      Lanes Restaurant & Bar
    by sue_stone
      Kelly and her scallop starter
    by sue_stone
      the lamb (with duck in the background)
    by sue_stone

One evening we ventured over to Liverpool Street to meet up with my niece and her boyfriend for dinner. We don't often eat out in this part of London, but thought it was time for a change, so we headed to Lanes Restaurant & Bar which I had read good things about.

Lanes is located less than 2 minutes walk from Liverpool Street station. Located below street level, it has a bar and compact restaurant, plus a private dining area. The restaurant was pleasingly full on a Monday night, and the atmosphere was smart but relaxed. Service was particularly efficient and just friendly enough.

Favorite Dish: To start, Alex had the Cornish Crab Ravioli with Taragon, Kelly had the Baked Scallops with Pancetta and Steve had the Marinated Pork with Pear, Blue Cheese & Pine Nuts. I just had a taste of Alex's - the pasta was a little overcooked.

Main courses were the Roast Rump of Lamb, Creamy Potatoes & Haricots Verts for Steve & I, the Fillet of Plaice, Lemon & Dill Risotto, Served with Fish Cream for Kelly, and the Breast of Barbary Duck, Pak Choi & Roasted Figs for Alex. Kelly said her fish reminded her of Rollmops, which I don't think was supposed to be a compliment.

Desserts had to be sampled - Alex and I shared the Crème Brulee with Caramelised Banana & Passion Fruit Sauce, which Kelly ordered as well, and Steve had the Lemon Sorbet.

Unfortunately the food just didn't quite do it for us. It looked fabulous but didn?t taste as good as it looked. It was perfectly edible though, but not on par with some of the meals we had had lately. And it was overpriced....thankfully we were dining there on a special offer of 50% off the food cost ; )

Address: 109-117 Middlesex Street, London, E1 7JF
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Nearest tube: Liverpool Street
othercontact: info@lanesrestaurant.co.uk
Phone: 020 7247 5050
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 2
Theme: Eclectic/International
Website: http://www.lanesrestaurant.co.uk

• Written Sep 12, 2006

Comments

sue_stone Used To Live Here!

Have you been to London?