"Maui: Sunrise & Bike Glide on Haleakala" Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Things to Do Tip by diver-x

Hawaii (State of) Things to Do: 553 reviews and 840 photos

Gliding down Haleakala. Support van follows.
by diver-x

When my sister & I talked about things we wanted to do in Maui, the bike glide down Haleakala was tops on the list. See the sunrise on top of Maui's tallest (dormant) volcano and glide nearly effortlessly to the bottom, taking in the incredible scenery? What's not to like about the idea? Well, when the day came, I can tell you exactly what's not to like about the idea: You have to get up a 2:00 AM!!! I'm no morning person and getting up for this activity was a monumental effort for me! We met up at the outfitter's shop sometime around 3:30, I think. Luckily they offered coffee and muffins as they handed out our helmets and exposure suits. In no time at all, we were loaded into vans and whisked off to the top of Haleakala. Unfortunately, our group was the last to load into the van and I was the first of our group to get in. That meant I was the inside person in the back seat: the furthest away from OUT that you could get in that van. We all had day packs, our suits and helmets in hand and so the seat was very crowded. I have claustrophobia and of course, I had a panic attack! It was all I could do to not scream and try to wriggle out of my spot! I had to close my eyes, breath deep and slow and pretend I was in a spacious room. When I did open my eyes, I had to look out the window and pretend the window was open!

OK - so other than that, the trip was great! The sunrise was lovely (but freezing COLD!!!) and the glide was indeed nearly effortless. I probably pedalled for about 30 seconds total - the rest was coasting and breaking. We pulled over a few times and about halfway down we were able to take off our yellow exposure suits and gloves. The view at the top and on the way down was breathtaking, but you have to be careful while you're riding to pay attention to the road and not get too distracted by the view. Otherwise you could end up over the guardrail and down a cliff or into a ravine!

• Written Sep 11, 2006

“Always know where your towel is.”

Have you been to Hawaii (State of)?