"Beware Tailor Scams" Tailors Tip by pgphoto

Tailors, Bangkok: 4 reviews and 0 photos

OK. You are in Bangkok and you want some nice silk or want to get a suit made. Here's what I encountered a couple of years ago. I was walking around Sukhumvit and heard gunshots - yes, gunshots! Turns out a film crew had the streets closed and they were filming a movie. Wow! I watched for a while and then one of the local men I was standing close to started talking to me. He was VERY nice and courteous. He then got around to shopping, was I gonna do any. I said yes, that my wife wanted me to bring back some Thai silk. He said he knew of a "silk warehouse" just around the corner and he would be happy to show me where it was. So, I went. I was very skeptical, but he seemed harmless. We went a couple of blocks and he took me into what was merely a storefront for a Saudi Arabian tailor. Yes, he used silk, but he didn't sell silk. He made suits. HE didn't make them, he just hired poor Thai women to sew them and he made all the money. The nice local man obviously would have made a "spiff" or commission had I actually made a purchase. Since I don't wear, need or even want a suit, I had to pass. Plus, the guy was soooo sleazy, it made me sick to know he's rich at the expense of the poor locals. So beware the smiling faces - there just may be an underlying reason they are smiling. They know you have money and they want it. Thankfully, they won't beat it out of you as the police are tough. A few more tips: never bad mouth the King, stand when the locals stand at the theater and in the streets (they honor the King every day), never spit in public, never point your feet at anyone (feet are the lowest, dirtiest part of the body), never pat kids on the head, the head being the highest and most revered part of the body. Enjoy!

Address: Bangkok
Phone: Tourist Police +66 2 66440 00
Website: http://www.tourist.police.go.th/

Review Helpfulness: 3 out of 5 stars

• Written Sep 7, 2006

More Warnings and Dangers in Bangkok (1)

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Bangkok?